Monday, February 27, 2017

Resting


minimalist-ing.blogspot.com
I don't post on Sundays. My family takes this day as a rest day, and we're not allowed to work. The kids have to have their homework done before Sunday, or do it after. I don't clean, weed, or actively declutter.

I love taking a day of rest. I love having a day when we cannot be "responsible," but instead have to be idle. I don't have to nag my son to clean his room. We can play a game, read our books or take a nap. If someone is grounded from playing video games, Sunday that suspension is paused.

The most amazing thing happens when we do celebrate this day of rest: we're ready for the week. Growing up I always felt a sense of dread on Sundays. I wasn't ready to go back to school, and I didn't want to do the homework I had put off to the last minute. Now, by Sunday night, I feel ready to tackle things I've been putting off.

So what does this have to do with minimalism? By reducing to a minimum the number of commitments and chores I am willing to do on this day, I can enjoy what I have. I can enjoy my family by playing together, or simply by being together, reading and drinking tea. I can take a nap if I need to. Or if I want to.

I have a day when I have to step off the treadmill.

Realistically, my life cannot be blissful and peaceful every day. I need to go to doctors appointments, orthodontist appointments, club meetings, dance class, piano lessons. I like supporting my family in the various activities they are exploring, and I like supporting the projects I work for. But I also crave time together with my family, building connections and memories. My day of rest gives me balance.

So, today is Monday. I am back to work after my day of rest. I have piano lessons to drive to. I will be washing the extra car this week and placing it on Craigslist, so I need to locate the registration and be ready to sell it. I can create ebay drafts, ready to post when the new month starts (and I get 50 new free posts). I can get my tax materials together, so I can stop dreading that task (do it now!).  I have the energy and motivation to do what I need to do, because I had the opportunity to seek balance.

1 comment:

  1. Sunday is usually a rest day for everyone and yes I agree with the rule that there should be no work on this day. Thank you for sharing such good post with us

    ReplyDelete