Friday, March 31, 2017

Stalling

If you've been reading this blog lately, you might have noticed that I've been stalling. I just don't seem to be making much forward progress. Part of the problem is the fact that I share my home with my family, part is that I've already eliminated the low hanging fruit, and part is because we've been so busy.

At this point, I have seen a difference between the beginning of the project and now, but I'm not making much progress right now. I'm trying, but I feel like I'm not making the progress and change I'd like.

Should I accept this as a seasonal reality -- I can't make big changes while the kids are so busy with activities, and I'm preparing for Easter. Should I just wait until May is over, and begin large scale change when school gets out? Should I just limp along for the next two months? Or is there something I should do right now to get things really going?

I've been making little changes, and they are beneficial. I've gotten rid of much of the stockpile of food in the pantry, and I'm buying things as we need them. Before I started a menu plan I needed to keep lots of "just in case" foods. Now is simpler. The shelf by the front door and the bar are both usually tidier than they ever were before. I've reduced the bags of frozen fruit in the freezer, and I can use it more efficiently than I used to. Actually, it seems that everything is more efficient now.

The improvement I have experienced so far encourages me to make more improvement, but I don't see an easy way to do that.

I know I'm droning on, but I feel I ought to post honestly. Minimalist-ing is not always an easy process, even though I really enjoy the results.

4 comments:

  1. I decluttered in fits and starts over several years. My husband was interested but not as onboard as I was. Just doing my own things; and things that were exclusively my domain like the kitchen made a huge difference; and he started on his own things.

    Have you read The Life Changing Magic of Tidying Up? Marie Kondo recommends the opposite approach of getting it all done in one marathon declutter. Part of me wishes I had done that.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Aurora. I did read the Life Changing Magic, but it didn't seem to really apply to my family. It's hard to declutter all the books at once when some belong to me, some belong to my husband or kids, and they aren't as onboard with minimalism as I am. I'd love to try getting everything done at once, though!

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's also taken me years to get to where I am now -- I think there's a general feeling of having to get stuff done ASAP, but the reality is that it took years to bring stuff in, so it's going to take time to get stuff out.

    It sounds like you've made some great progress and changes! Let's rebrand your feelings of "stalling" to "instituting habits." You might not have time to make additional changes right now, but every day that you keep up what you've already done, you're making it a longterm habit. (You're welcome! LOL.) (Also, I need to apply the same wisdom to myself, so really, I'm one to talk, but it's easier to see how great others are doing than it is to see how great you are.)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much! I really needed to hear this. I stopped by the house of my daughter's friend, and it was beautiful -- even the pantry wasn't cluttered. It made me want to come home and get rid of LOTS of stuff, including furniture. Which actually is in opposition to my plan to not make my family crazy with this project.

      Delete