Tuesday, March 14, 2017

Daily Declutter

Today I got rid of a bunch of things, but they're mostly tiny. Still, it made a difference! I went through my bureau: I got rid of a box of vintage handkerchiefs, some jewelry I never wear, and a jewelry box I've had since I was a girl. If I don't love it, and my daughter doesn't want it, I don't need to keep it!

I sometimes think that I should keep certain things to pass down. I didn't have a lot of things from my "ancestors" when I was a kid, but I wanted a sense of history. I read a lot of books involving treasures found in attics, and I wanted an attic of treasures to explore. For that matter, I also wanted a secret compartment and a window seat. My daughter doesn't seem to feel the same longing, and I guess my grandkids can be happy with whatever survives the various purges through the years. They'll both appreciate not having to deal with all my stuff in the interim, as will I.

Anyway, clearing away those things eliminated most of the clutter that was on top of my bureau. All that's left is a clock, our wedding topper (a Lenox figurine of a bride and groom; it was a gift from my mother-in-law to-be) and a booklet of family coupons (good for folding laundry, or sweeping, or cleaning the bathroom. A precious gift to savor!). Now I just have to rehome a couple pieces of good jewelry, and the handkerchiefs on ebay. It is definitely cleaner looking right now, and it will be even better after I dust!

I washed out a pickle jar to store bulk oatmeal I've had sitting on the counter. It was on sale, and I overbought, but my family will definitely use it, eventually! I struggle with overbuying things that we will use, but I don't have room to store. I'm sure that will get better.

I did find a package of gnocchi in the cupboard that had gone bad. Really bad. I threw it away, rather than try to return it to the store, because I didn't want to look at it for the rest of the week until I went to the store. I figure that's an improvement. In the past I would have kept it to get my money back, but my piece of mind is worth more than the $2 I'd get from returning the gnochi!

No comments:

Post a Comment