Thursday, May 11, 2017

Daily Delutter

I was fairly grumpy yesterday, and my family noticed. A quick 10 minute tidy took care of a lot of the stuff that was left lying around -- including a couple of items that were't mine to decide about. Now those things are gone, and I'm feeling much better about the house in general. I tell myself that a minimalist home would never become messy, but I know I'm deluding myself. My family will always have the ability to leave things lying around, because they will always have shoes, jackets, schoolbooks and things like that. It is the nature of the beast, but I would like to simplify regardless.

Unexpectedly, I had to run to the store today. My daughter needed large pieces of cardboard for a school project, so I stopped by Costco and got some of their surplus. (They often have large, clean, flat pieces of cardboard between layers of products, and they let you take it home.) I dropped it off at school, and everything else I brought home was food. I also picked up a book for her birthday at Barnes and Noble, and a couple of Christmas presents for my niece and nephew at the 75% off table. But, other than the book I intended to buy, nothing else will stay here. I didn't succumb to any clutter temptations while I was out.

I found a few more kitchen items that I don't need. I will be dropping off empty plastic storage containers at the church, and I found an apron that I use twice a year at a museum I have been volunteering at. However, we will not be attending this year, and even if we did I could use some of the aprons they have there -- I do not need my own! This virtually has cleared one shelf in the kitchen -- the crummy one I have to kneel to use. It can remain empty, and I will be happy with that.

On a different note, I found this article about adopting minimalism, and the mindset toward stuff, which I found interesting.

No comments:

Post a Comment