Monday, May 15, 2017

Daily Delutter

I was surprised how much clutter I moved this weekend.

When we pulled out the party box, which holds plates, cups, napkins, banners, flatware, etc, I found several packages of decorations that we will never use. So I dropped several packages of napkins and other party goods, still in their original packages, in the donation box. Someone will hopefully be really happy to have dragon/castle party supplies. I also got rid of the plastic ice bucket we've been keeping since I-don't-know-when. It was an ugly color, and I'd rather use one of the ceramic bowls I like to serve ice. Likewise, I got rid of a stack of plastic (reusable) cups, because I never want to drink out of plastic, even at parties -- if I'm desperate for drinking glasses, I'll use mason jars. They're even in right now, and I have a ton of those for canning and tupperware alternatives. (Mason jars are great for storing leftover soup, or spaghetti sauce, or gloopy things like that.)

But wait, there's more! I pulled out some of my baking supplies. I had a springform pan which I received when my grandmother was moving to assisted living -- roughly 12 years ago. I have never in that time made a cheesecake (the only thing I know to do with a springform pan). I also got rid of two pie plates (I never make more than two pies at once) and a nine-inch square glass baking pan. Family members (including my newlywed niece) took them home. As a result I was able to move my white Pyrex casserole out from the back of the cupboard to a handy spot in the front. I have hated the back-of-the-cupboard spot since I used it the first time; I have to crawl on my knees to get anything out from there, and that just isn't fun. I'd much, much rather get rid of unnecessary items than crawl around to get stuff I need!

Today I wasn't at home much at all. My son was showing his chicken at the fair. He won! Sadly, I didn't get to see him show his bird because I was driving my daughter to piano (his level showed out of order so kids could get to another event) but I was there to see him receive his prize. We will spend a lot of time this week learning about showing other animals because he will advance to the next level and be expected to show a chicken, rabbit, cavy (like a guinea pig), pygmy goat and dog. I'm so proud of him for all his hard work! (Also nice: he received ribbons, not a trophy for his prize, which will be easier to store.)

2 comments:

  1. Great progress and congratulations to your son!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you so much! I am so proud of him. He's put in a lot of work so far, and he will be putting in more this week to get ready for the next round Friday.

    ReplyDelete