Thursday, December 15, 2016

Making Improvment


In the week I have been writing her I have made tiny, not huge, improvements in my home. I have been using this blog as a sort of "to do" list. I talk about what I need to get done, or what behavior I need to change (hello, delayed decisions). The act of writing them down and publicizing them to the world makes me feel more responsible and more aware of my habits. I have stopped leaving clothes on the bathroom counter because I am aware that they are clutter. Even if I plan to wear those jeans again tomorrow, when I wake up in the morning I don't want to see clutter on the counter. So I hang them up (on a hook provided for the purpose) and eliminate first-thing-I-see-in-the-morning-clutter.

On the other hand, I feel I need to make a list of all the areas that need to be addressed. I feel like a fruit fly, flitting from one cluttery area to the next, trying to address the decisions that need to be decided. Sweet potatoes to the bathroom counter to sewing projects to...whatever's next.

I'm really of two minds on my random behavior. Do I address whatever is in front of me? Does that bit of clutter attract my attention because it is something I must work around constantly? Or should I focus on one area at a time, or one topic, and make sure each part of my home is clear before I move on?

I've decided to work on the first method. I have decluttered before, repeatedly, and although I would like to reduce the physical goods in my house, I don't think that is the real problem. I think I need to address habits. I think I will feel more peaceful if I have reduce the unnecessary actions and repeating clutter. And I'm hoping that eliminating behaviors that contribute to clutter, and not just the physical objects.

Whatever I do, working actively to reduce the clutter will have a positive outcome.

(Thanks to picfont.com for the image.)

No comments:

Post a Comment