Wednesday, January 25, 2017

Daily Declutter: Motivation Edition

Today, I have a terrible case of the "don't wannas." I'd rather troll Pinterest, or aimlessly wander around the house, than get stuff done. So I'm going to do it anyway, and I want you to do it with me.

Set the timer for 15 minutes, and clear out a section on the house that you think needs tidying. The eternal junk drawer, a shelf in the pantry, your sock drawer, a couple of bookcase shelves. (I'm going to hit up the bookcase).

I'll also call the drugstore to see if they develop film cameras. I found a film camera in an earlier cleanout, and it has sat around since, looking like clutter. (Clutter is delayed decisions. I couldn't decide where to get it developed.)

After that, I'll run the vacuum, and sweep the floor. Not too much, but the difference between nothing  and something doesn't have to be great. You just have to make some forward progress, and avoid backsliding. Who knows, maybe I'll even get swept up in the adrenaline rush. (I may be trying too hard to sell this to myself.)

Later:
If this were a movie, there would have been a fade to black there. Or maybe a montage sequence of me wandering around. So, since I wrote that (and since I didn't want to either admit failure or change the above) I spent roughly 15 minutes decluttering a bookcase. I got rid of a bunch of pre-Pinterest articles I had clipped, for gift inspiration or decorating ideas. I got rid of a reference book I have used exactly once in 20 years. I eliminated several very old Martha Stewart magazines, again with gift ideas. I emptied the binder and used it to replace the binder I keep my recipes in. The old recipe binder went in the trash.

I also swept and vacuumed. I dropped off the camera for developing, two library items that are coming due soon but we have finished, and a disc to Netflix (please, oh please, send my Sherlock Season 4 disc soon!).

Even better than that, my husband was inspired by my busyness to declutter a lot of things off his desk. He threw away the shelf holders for a bookcase we bought roughly ten years ago. In all that time, the hardware has say on his desk in a plastic cup.

Thanks, internetland, for helping me get over my "don't wannas" today. I wouldn't have done it without you!

No comments:

Post a Comment