Monday, January 23, 2017

Minimalism and Not Buying Things

I have noticed, through the course of my Daily Declutter posts, that I have stopped buying Stuff. I go to the store less frequently, and I am less tempted by Things when I am there. I focus on Stuff a lot, as I get rid of them, but have not been wanting as much as I did at one point in the past.

I think this is because I have increased my awareness of how Things do not really benefit me, after the level of being fed, sheltered and comfortable. (I'm really fond of sitting with a blanket on the sofa, reading a library book.) I am much more focused on clearing space for living. I am focused on getting rid of Cool Things that cease being valuable once I bring them home and show them to people. This change of focus seems to be the difference between seeing something, admiring it and wanting it, and just admiring it and moving on.

I really think that an increased awareness of the material goods in my environment is making me desire things less. This is part of what has attracted my to minimalism. I keep hoping that if I minimalist my physical surrounds I will magically have more time, more patience and more organization. Not to mention more money and more freedom. Perhaps that will lead to more travel. Or perhaps it will mean more generosity and more time spent supporting causes that I feel deserve it.

I know I have a limited amount of time to do the things I want to do, both in this stage of life and in life generally. I want to spend that time doing things that really matter, I don't want to spend my life at Target buying the next fashionable accessory for cheap. I'd rather spend my time getting chores done early so I can fit in a game with the family. I think I'm on the right road!

1 comment:

  1. This is exactly what cured me from the endless shopping for the perfect XYZ -- it took so dang long to get rid of something properly that I began to take that into account whenever I looked at anything. Plus having worked so hard for uncluttered spaces, I had no desire to go back. Not that I don't have moments. Just that it's easier to say no than I would have expected.

    ReplyDelete